This Week’s Challenge: Take a polar plunge
This week Female IQ invites you to take a polar plunge. Here’s why:
A year ago Laura became intrigued with Wim Hoff and his practice of cold therapy. She enjoys how energized and alive she feels after cold open water swims and surfing and so she started implementing some of Wim Hoff’s practices into her training regimen as a type of recon for the athletes that she coaches.
Laura began with cold water immersion in her unheated pool after cycling and running. She started with 15 seconds and worked up to three minutes.
These are the benefits that she noticed right away:
- It requires a disciplined mind to take the plunge.
- It forces immediate deep breathing.
- It eliminates all muscle soreness even before you exit the pool.
- It decreases your elevated core temperature from training.
- It improves your immune system.
- Laura’s Oura Ring data demonstrated a lower resting heart rate, higher HRV and increased time in deep sleep (restorative) on the nights following the plunge.
- Immediately after the plunge, you can take a cold shower for another 10 minutes comfortably and get your skin glowing and blemish-free.
After Laura practiced the post training plunge for a few months, she had the mental discipline to take a cold shower within the first 30 seconds of waking every morning. This is always a shock to the system, but a fantastic way to start your day because:
- You’ve already won the day.
- It’s an instant wake up.
- Any puffiness in your face is gone.
- It forces deep breathing.
So, are you ready to take the plunge?
NOTE: Above is Laura’s gradual version of the Wim Hoff method. She recommends researching him and his methods and choosing a version that suits your needs. Also, please avoid this challenge if you have a medical condition such as a heart problem.
Sending U Good “Q”— Becca and Laura